Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas-y Things

I'm combining this week's regular entry with this week's DecaAwesome List. I'm not doing it because I'm so busy. No, no! For once, I am sitting on my butt with not too many things on my "to-do" list. I gave my last final today and I've done most of my grading. I'll be handing everything in on Monday and then I'll be free to enjoy my week at home. So, I'm actually being a bit lazy for once. Since I got back home after school, I've been sitting around mostly. Watching TV and reading. Bliss and Heaven. I was asked to go out with some friends tonight, but I honestly just want to veg out on the couch. So I will.

Here goes. This week's list with possibly more explanation than usual.

1. Panera. An AMAZING bakery that T suggested I try. Not only did I eat an unbelievable bagel there (although NYC's Ess-a-Bagel still holds the title), I bought a loaf of semolina bread. I know that doesn't sound like something crazygood, but it's hard as hell to find a loaf of semolina in this town. After eating there, I went home, opened a fresh mozarella, heated up some sauce, and it was like Sunday morning at Nanny's. Score.

2. iTunes. I am putting together a recital for March, and I now have recordings of the stuff I'm considering. Easy as pie. I just searched for it, downloaded it, and soon it will be sync-ed onto my iPod. All from the couch. No wonder our country is so fat. But the convenience! The convenience!

3. Love, Actually. This was a favorite of me and my ex, and I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to watch it again. Bad memories, good memories, who the hell can tell which are worse? But I'm pleased to say that it's on right now (cut to ribbons on TBS, unfortunately), and I'm enjoying it a lot. Hey, it's a funny movie. And touching and sweet and adorable. And you know what? Even though I'm sort of anti-relationship right now, it's still freaking charming.

4. Yes Man. Saw it last night and I liked it very much. Once again, Jim Carrey's character needs the love of a slightly nutty free spirit to help him find life again, just as in one of my absolute favorite movies: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Similar idea in another fave (although this one without Jim C.): Stranger Than Fiction. I love these movies for many reasons, but I like 'em a lot because I am a slightly nutty free spirit. I just went back and read over this and "slightly nutty" spoonerized into "nightly slutty" in my tired brain. Yeah.

5. Colin Firth. He's funny and charming and English. And I love his story line in Love, Actually

6. Rock Band. I know I put this on weeks ago, but I just had a Christmas party and it is the best party activity evers. Which brings me to #7...

7. When you have a party that you think is going to be lame, but which turns out to be really, really fun. It happened Thursday. I invited a heap of people and everyone kept canceling, and  it felt like it was going to be the world's worst party. Or that I would be sitting in a party dress (like I wear those) on my couch with just my roommate to hang out with, and no guests coming over. But that is not what happened. It's not like hundreds of people came over or anything, but that's probably better because my place is not huge, but just the right amount of folks came over to make it awesome.

8. Pomegranate candles from Illuminations. Illuminations is a candle store (are they on the east coast?) and around the holidays, they sell this amazing-smelling candle called pomegranate. It is seriously the best-smelling candle, maybe ever.

9. Cold orange slices. I love orange juice so much, and getting the juice right from the orange slice is amazing. Especially when the orange is ice cold. It's better than a popsicle. Better than candy.

10. The discovery of a new Chinese restaurant. On Thursday, it was absolutely imperative that C and I stop for noodles. The closest place was one I had gone by a million times, but never ate in. And you know what? The lo mein was transcendent. I'm going to go there more often. It's pretty near school and it's a decent and reasonably-priced place. Did I mention the lo mein?

No comments: