Monday, March 31, 2008

Meeting celebrities

I grew up in New York, and when you're from the city, you inevitably see famous people. Most New Yorkers I know, do not bother famous people. One time, I rode the subway with Sara Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick. The three of us shorties were hanging onto the same pole. No one spared them a second glance. We were all, like, 'hey, those guys' and then we went about our business. I don't mind seeing celebrities, but I won't go up to them.

I'm a big fan of the TV show, Supernatural. This weekend, I went to a convention where the stars of the show appeared and signed autographs. I had mixed feelings about meeting them. Well, I met them, and everything went fine; they were perfectly lovely people. But for the last few weeks, I've been thinking about why meeting them got me so twisted up.

Here's the thing. I'm a pretty cool gal. I'm smart and funny and I like to think I'm a force to be reckoned with. When I meet a celebrity, it's a completely one-sided thing. I went to the con to tell these folks how much I admire them, but meanwhile, they didn't have any idea that I'm pretty awesome too. I know all about them, but they know nothing about me. For some reason, I think that sucks out loud.

For about ten seconds, I toyed with the idea of making up a t-shirt that said something like, "I'm not just a fan of Supernatural; I'm a college professor, musicologist, writer..." etc. 

I wanted them to know I wasn't just some giggling obsessed fangirl. I'm a real person, and I'm just as worthy to be met as they are.

Is that weird?

Anyway, all the folks who came to the con were absolutely wonderful. Very gracious, charming, and genuine, and I'd love to meet them all again. But next time, I want it to be because they want to meet me

;-)

~Hero

No comments: